The Academy of Business in Society (ABIS)
The Academy of Business in Society (ABIS) is a global network of over 130 companies and academic institutions whose expertise, commitment and resources are leveraged to invest in a more sustainable future for business in society. ABIS enables informed decision-making on business in society issues through collaborative research, education, thought leadership, policy insights and business acumen.
The ABIS secretariat supports its members by providing access to the network’s expertise, commitment and resources. ABIS leverages these in collaborative projects and events that empower change and deliver impact.
Our Track Record
- Delivered 90+ knowledge development and learning initiatives
- Secured EUR 11+ million in EU grants to fund 60% of Corporate Responsibility research projects funded to date
- Invested EUR 2.5+ million in funding from ABIS’ corporate founding partners and international foundations (UN Global Compact, Templeton, Roosevelt)
- Co-creator and Steering Committee member of the UN Global Compact Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME)
- Co-developed with EFMD the Corporate Responsibility and ethics-related criteria in EQUIS, the world’s leading business school accreditation standard.
ABIS (formerly known as EABIS) was founded in 2001 and launched at INSEAD in 2002 with the support of the leading Business Schools in Europe (INSEAD, IMD, London, ESADE, IESE, Copenhagen, Warwick, Vlerick, Ashridge, Cranfield, Bocconi) in partnership with IBM, Microsoft, Johnson & Johnson, Unilever and Shell.
This initiative was driven by a shared belief that challenges linked to globalization and sustainable development required new management skills, mindsets & capabilities.
In order to respond to this need and to support research to underpin better education and learning, ABIS developed a stronger role in the arena.
ABIS promotes knowledge-based transformation through corporate-academic collaboration and supports members to tackle challenges and attain a more sustainable future.