2nd Line Support Engineer
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Do you have a passion for working with a multitude of different business computing systems for supporting end users, for constantly improving the overall quality of software? Are documentation and testing part of your day-to-day vocabulary? Would you like to be part of a team that is supporting more than 10,000 users in the daily work in one of the world’s most prestigious research organisations? Then join our team of quality assurance and support specialists! CERN, take Part!
You will join the Finance and Administrative Processes Department (FAP); Business Computing Group (BC), responsible for delivering information systems for all of CERN’s business functions.
The group is composed of more than 70 talented international software engineers working for clients across the whole Organisation (HR, Finance, Planning, Safety, Security, Purchasing, Logistics, and Accelerator Operations). The type of applications under the group’s responsibility ranges from small custom-made solutions for a few users to very large and widely integrated systems with 15,000+ users. Hence, working for the BC group provides numerous perspectives for being in touch with different technologies and business areas.
You will become part of the Quality and Support section: a multinational team of hardware and software support engineers, responsible for providing hardware support and for supporting end users in their use of business computing solutions provided by the BC group.
An overview of the general benefits of working at CERN and to which you are entitled, is available at: http://careers.cern/benefits
As a Computing Technical Engineer in the Quality and Support Section, you will be the team’s expert on IT hardware and software. You will work in close collaboration with the development teams of the BC group, and the IT Department and the CERN Service Desk. More specifically, you will take on the following responsibilities:
Second line support
- Serve as the first point of contact for customers seeking technical assistance over the phone or e-mail or using our service portal system.
- Ask customers targeted questions to understand the reported problem, and document it for further analysis and resolution of the support case.
- Provide prompt and accurate feedback to customers.
- Ensure follow-up of all support tickets and properly escalate unresolved issues to appropriate internal roles (e.g. developers or business analysts on the 3rd level of support).
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues, including account setup and network configuration.
- Manage administrative computing tasks (management of access rights, management of computer equipment, etc.).
- Provide technical assistance and training for users of the various software packages in use.
- Create and maintain software and process documentation for the team and document support knowledge in the form of knowledge bases and manuals.
- Provide/develop tools used internally by the Quality and Support team to automate recurring support and configuration tasks.
Hardware/Software Support for desktop computing:
- Capture users’ requirements.
- Advise on suitable technical solutions (computing hardware, software and/or audio-visual equipment), including on financial aspects.
- Contribute to hardware procurement, order suitable equipment, participate in the drafting of specifications and in tendering processes.
- Test, register, install, and configure solutions (computing hardware and/or audio-visual equipment) based on supported technologies.
- Coordinate IT security together with other IT specialists and CERN’s Computer Security team
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Computing or Computer Science, or a related field.
- Proven experience in using and supporting administrative computing systems.
- Excellent knowledge of ticketing and documentation systems.
- The ability to analyse new support requests and end users demands, to ensure correct classification and documentation before either solving a case or if needed escalating it to other support lines.
- Thorough understanding of standard desktop computing and communication devices, be able to solve hardware problems and assist users with operating system, network and application (business computing solutions, web browsers, standard office software packages) setup and configuration issues.
- Capability to express complex technical aspects in terms that are easily understood by end users.
- Be familiar with working with the operating system command line (and automating repetitive tasks using scripts).
- Ability to install and/or interface with new software (in-house developed or third party provided) for testing and evaluation purposes.
- Some experience in using databases and using SQL (knowledge of working with Oracle RDBMS would be an advantage) and scripting languages.
- Initial experience in working in virtualised hardware environments and eagerness to learn more in the field of different virtualisation/containerization techniques.
- Customer service.
- Use of office software packages.
- Administration of computing systems: desktop computing systems setup, knowledge about remote sup-port possibilities, scripts creation to automate processes, handling user access rights.
- Installation, operation, and maintenance (preventive and corrective) of computing systems: ability to setup, connect, configure desktop, computing hardware (e.g. PCs, Laptops, screens, communication devices).
- Knowledge and deployment of computing hardware.
- Knowledge of operating systems: ability to administrate common desktop operating systems (e.g. Windows, macOS, experience in using Linux would be an advantage).
- Knowledge of system configuration tools.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs
- Managing self: remaining objective, focused and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems; remaining objective, focused and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations being able to deal with ambiguous or unpredictable situations; readily accepting new tasks or work/projects.
- Building relationships: relating well to all people regardless of category/level within the Organization; being able to put self in the shoes of others in order to understand their needs and interests; relating well to all people regardless of race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.
- Very good command of English.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 20.01.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: FAP-TPR-MI-2018-135-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further